This week our theme was monsters and we made squish painting monsters. I love this craft because you are never sure what you will get and they turned out great. You just fold a piece of paper in half, drop paint on one side, fold the paper back over and press down. Open up the paper and see what you got. We added eyes to make them look like monsters. The kids got to decide how many eyes they thought their monsters needed.
We continued on with our alphabet soup theme. This week we made a bird out of the letter “b”.
The snack was from the Alphabet Soup in Motion handbook.
Vegetable Roll Ups
1/4 c cream cheese
1/4 c plain yogurt
1/2 tsp dried dill (I just bought cream cheese with dill already in it)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 small grated carrot
1/4 c broccoli finely chopped (I used grated cucumber instead)
Mix the cream cheese and yogurt with dill and onion powder. Spread mixture onto tortilla and sprinkle on veggies. Roll up into a wrap.
Last week was Valentine’s Day, so the kids at R-tworx had a blast making Love Pom Pom Monsters out of yarn and scrap bits. We played around with different ways to create pom poms using popsicle sticks, forks and paper plates.
Check out the Love Monsters tutorial here!
At Home Alone
A safety program for students in grades 4/5/6 at the CES school. Students take part in presentations and discussions with local emergency staff from the Fire Dept, RCMP and Ambulance. The program covers what kids need to know when they are left home alone for short periods of time. Street proofing, Fire safety and basic first aid.
A huge THANK YOU!!! to the Community Initiatives Fund and Royal Bank for sponsoring this program.
Special thanks to Cost. Kelly Guider of the RCMP, Michelle Orsted of The Carlyle Fire Dept. and Aaron and Shae from Supreme Ambulance for their awesome safety presentations!
The next courses will take place Fall 2014 and Winter 2015
- Cost: $20.00 for the first aid kit. Course is FREE
If you or your organization is interested in a copy of our program workbook please e-mail our office.
For our Winter Themed after school program the Pre-K – Gr 1 classes took part in snowball relays, snowman decorating game and snow dough.
To take part in these activities read below:
You will need:
- Styrofoam Balls
- A large space
- items to mark the start and finish (such as hula-hoops)
- items to weave in an out of (such as pylons)
How to play:
- Have kids pick up a Styrofoam ball and place it on the spoon
- They must then walk with the ball on the spoon through the pylons to their teammate
- They will then transfer the ball to their teammate who must return to the start with the ball.
- Try with different sized “snowballs!”
Decorate a Snowman Game:
You will need:
- Toilet Paper
- Scarf, Hat, Buttons, Nose (we cut ours out of construction paper)
How to Play:
- Pick a “Snowman”.
- Have the other children wrap the child up in toilet paper.
- Dress the snowman.
What you will need:
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Hair Conditioner
How to make:
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and play! Keep in an air tight container
- Add glitter or food coloring to make it more fun!